View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
OliTF1 
DARKie

Post OliTF1
Dear DARK administrator,

1. In game name (login name should be the same):

OliTF1 (login 0li0li, because SOE does not yet allow me to change my in-game name. Upon creating my forum account here, I did not see anything about the username having to be the same as in game. I'm sorry. But in short; I'm known as "Oli")

2. Do you have any alternate characters you play on [Emerald] or on other servers? If so, please list them here:

* VS is my BR 100 main;
* 0liTR (Emerald);
* 0liNC (Emerald);

3. RL First Name: Oliver

4. RL Age: 30

5. Time zone you play in and your frequency of play:

Almost daily, from approx 10:30pm to 1:30am EST (with usually a small 15-30 minute break to put family to sleep. Some nights I do not play, mostly because the night before I played until 3:00am)

6. What or who brought you to DARK? You watched us on the battlefield? You spoke to a member?

Found you with the in-game outfit search. See reason below.

7. Anything you'd like to tell us? Additional comments or questions here:

I've been playing since launch, it's my favorite game, and I plan to stay as long as it's up. I was with Ragequit outfit first, for about 12 months, but they became a derp-fest where everyone did what he wanted and TS was just for constant chatter.

I then played alone, but that's no fun. Searching online, I found an outfit that seemed mature and right for me. I moved to No Nonsense Gamers and thought I had found a unique non-sonsense community. How wrong was I...

Recent changed imposed by the leaders of the PS2 division (same people as comp player clique) have forced the already small community into 2 groups: a private group for comp/tactical (with locked TS channel), and a public group for casual and random playstyle, without any tactical efforts. The discrimination of players was based on 1) stats and 2) on attendance to primetime events and official competition matches. If you were not in the pro comp team, you got moved to the second outfit for "friends of NNC". The motto should change from "We are not a clan, we are a gaming community" to "We are now a clan, with a gaming community".

The haven I thought I had found to get away from the usual elitist nonsense of gaming outfits is no more; NNG is no different now, and in some respects; worse.

I was about to start my own outfit for PS2 and other games - something like "Late Night Tactical Dads" [DADS] (I'm not actually a dad) - for people who have jobs and lives, have to play rather late, are hardcore tactical players looking for teamwork play 90% of the time, yet cannot commit and are not interested in organized competitive matches. That's me, and I've encountered many with the same feelings and experiences of being trapped between casual kids and competitive hotheads.

* I play games whenever I have free time, almost exclusively PS2;
* I can't get enough of squad cooperation, orders and objectives. Playing alone for killstreaks get old fast and puts me off the game;
* I think TS is important, even for people who can't speak with families sleeping around ;) I personally can speak, in short chunks (calling out locations, discussion of next goal, tactical comms);
* I will never be able to commit, yet am more than regular: playing almost daily and following everything on reddit;
* I will never be interested/able to join a comp group, yet always want to play seriously, with a team;
* I have bad stats because 1) I've tested weapons a lots before stats and VR were made available to us to help me build a custom script for the 3D haptic controller I use (Novint Falcon) and 2) I care more about destroying the enemy sundy, holding the point and getting to objectives than about my KD (however, since the elite started playing in a locked channel, I've been playing alone more and more, so my game session's KD has been >1.5 instead of my recorded 0.7).

From what I read, DARK is what I need: mature, late night, tactical without comp pretension, proud of your community. I've seen "too casual", I've seen "too elitist"; DARK looks perfect for me in the long run. It breaks my heart to leave a community because the values change too much, I leave friends behind, and hope I never have to do it again.

If I understood your values correctly, I might know 3-4 other mature players who would also be charmed to find the right home.

Looking forward to your input.

Last edited by 0li0li on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:15 pm
DARKie

Post Re: OliTF1
Thanks for posting Oli, can't wait to see you in game!

P.S.: Also, I've played BF2 a fair bit, and knowing it's one of the few games that natively support the Falcon, I've never used nor seen one for myself. I thought they went the way of the dodo!

Image Image Image Image Image

Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:00 pm
DARKie

Ponj wrote:
I thought they went the way of the dodo!

They did, but I remained in touch with the main developer from Novint and now make my own scripts to work with any games. It's fun to code, to enhance over time, and it turns any game into a gamergasm, even after using the Falcon for nearly 4 years non-stop. The original excitement and enjoyment barely faded, compared to many things in life ;)

Thanks for the welcome message. I'll join TS and in-game asap.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:08 pm
DARKie

Looking forward to playing with you in game. Sucks to hear about RGQT and NNG. Hit up Calasai, Phunksauce or ObsidianOne in game. Don't stress too much on stats. Yea they can be nice but they can also take fun away from the game.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:36 pm
DARKie

Thanks for putting together a well thought out application, it's honestly really appreciated. Like Sho said, add ObsidianOne, Calisai, and myself (PhunkSauce) in-game at the very least, and we'll get you playing with the group. We've got a two week trial period before we hand out the DARK tag, so feel free to jump in with us during on or off hours whenever you're online, and hopefully we'll find each other a good match.

You can find us in teamspeak at~
Server: ts3.darkhq.com
Password: t35CUpS

So you know, I know how you feel about NNG. Jaam is a friend of mine, and I like playing with/against NNG, but I don't think I'd want to be a part of what the NNG culture has become over the last year either. I hope you find a group you feel like you can call home in DARK. And by the way, stats are not and will never be a requirement for DARK, we're about maintaining a solid community and playing well as a unit.

Look forward to seeing you in-game,

-Phunk

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
DARKie

PhunkSauce wrote:
So you know, I know how you feel about NNG. Jaam is a friend of mine, and I like playing with/against NNG, but I don't think I'd want to be a part of what the NNG culture has become over the last year either.

Nice to be understood. Great guys in NNG, but absolute wrong direction given the fundamental mission statement of the community.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:31 pm
DARKie

Forum access setup!

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:47 pm
DARKie

Cheers for that!

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:33 am
DARKie

WELCOME.