View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Product development 
DARKie

Post Product development
Left to right, top to bottom: lasered cherry, african blackwood, chinese snowball bush with lasered snowflake, cebil, purple lilac with heavy pith, high character purple lilac, white lilac double with lasered stars, white lilac laser and wood putty test, purple lilac, purpleheart (evil pipe, cannot be sold), canarywood, purple lilac with 4 point spiro laser, cherry, and jatoba (aka brazilian cherry).

Next picture shows laser logo on bottom of pipe.

Attachments:
mdve-pipes2.jpg [109.56 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
mdve-pipes1.jpg [94.99 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Last edited by WeaselSqueezer on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:38 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
DARKie

Post Re: Product development
Beautiful stuff. Are you going to be selling these?

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
DARKie

PhunkSauce wrote:
Beautiful stuff. Are you going to be selling these?

Yes. At this time, I'm completing market research (giving some away). So far they're a big hit, double entendre intended. Everybody that sees one either wants one or knows somebody that can use it. The copper twist cover is very popular, so almost all of the ones I make now have that. I'll be seeing if the shops in Ann Arbor want to give me display case real estate for commission, I can sell them at the farmer's market, there's always E-Bay, and hey whadaya know I'm an experienced web admin. People have many different ideas about how much they're worth, small personal sized 1/2" bowl cherries will probably be around $50, larger ones of imported wood more like $140, and top end at $200 or more (look up 'Pink Ivory').

Not shown, chakte viga (beautiful orange Brazilian wood), haven't made the pink ivory blank I have, and I need to try hickory, walnut, tineo, hormigo, ovangkol.

I have several dozen apple blanks drying that I processed from a tree, and I have another apple tree and a pear tree that both need to come down. All the cherry and lilac are from my yard, although I do have some store-bought cherry blanks.

Almost forgot to ask... need a custom?

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:24 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
DARKie

Very nice Weas!

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:45 pm
DARKie

Not really my thing, trying to kick the tobacco habit (hard, and failing...). "Green" stuff was never my thing...

HOWEVER, that is nice craftsmanship! May I suggest mesquite and/or Western juniper? Both VEEERRRRY hard woods with beautiful finish. Myrtle is both hard and bole wood is more than just beautiful...

Mesquite and Juniper would add some aromatics to the burn, as well.

MY PLAYERS PROFILE (cuz these fancy Sigs ain't real accurate)

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:09 am
DARKie

Mesquite maybe, a source of that that would ship to Michigan could be possible, and I'm not discounting processing trees myself on owner's land (portable wood sterilizer?). Juniper unlikely, somehow that sounds like a bad idea. Evergreens, cedars, Elm, Sycamore, and anything listed on http://www.wood-database.com/wood-artic ... -toxicity/ . I may make some exceptions (walnut), and some wood is perfectly acceptable, but I don't like for other reasons. Holly is nice and light weight, but when burned it smells like dirty laundry. Some of the oil woods are worse. Single seed fruit is usually good, apple, pear, peach, olive. Probably okay if people smoke meat with it. I hear Pistachio is great but nobody will ever cut down a pistachio tree. I've got a half dozen or so woods I have in mind.

One I might never really know: Viburnum Macrocephalum, the Chinese snowball bush... http://www.finegardening.com/plantguide ... urnum.aspx . The wood smells floral after cut. I need to find ancient oriental knowledge of health effect of that smoke, and/or put a big warning tag on it.

Cebil
Jatoba
Cherry
Lilac (2 species, purple and white) (white lilac aka "the hedge")
Chakte Viga
African Blackwood
Amazakoue (?)
Hickory (?)
Walnut (?)
Apple
Pear
Buckthorn (??? doubt it)

Last edited by WeaselSqueezer on Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:44 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
DARKie

Only lists one type of Juniper, but I can see yer point.

Smells amazing on a campfire, though. Somewhat like aromatic cedar (kinda) but not as potent.

That toxicity list...makes me not want to ever have a campfire again. LOL

MY PLAYERS PROFILE (cuz these fancy Sigs ain't real accurate)

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:51 pm
DARKie

This photo jig is working better than I thought it might, it actually enters the pipe into the e-commerce system. A little more programming and it will be finished.

What yer lookin' at: RadioShack project box with Rasberry Pi, Adafruit LCD daughterboard, extra pushbuttons, AC ingress, 2-channel logic to relay controller, 5V 2A power supply, 8 ohm speaker, continuous rotation servo, plastic tray on lazy susan bearing, TLink USB wifi dongle, and a Canon EOS Digital Rebel with 50-200mm zoom lens on tripod.

Attachment:
pipepic-photo-jig.jpg [189.74 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:34 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]