View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
meta-game ideas from devs (cont conquest/locking) 
DARKie

Post meta-game ideas from devs (cont conquest/locking)
Plan with Hossin and Nexus/other battle islands in, talking about Nexus/battle islands at first:
Higby wrote:
The outposts are designed with specific objectives in mind, the ability for certain ones to be more defensive, certain ones to be easier to take. For the proper MMO game, when we implement [Battle Islands] they’re going to be set up as two-way fights. Each warp gate will belong to one empire and you’ll be able to push in a more one-vs.-one way on this map than you would in the current game, whereas on a continent map there’s always a third empire to come in and block.

We’re implementing it first and foremost to fill out our continental warfare gameplay. It’s going to be about being able to conquest across that map and reach the other warp gate. That will allow you to get access between continents.

If you can imagine our three continents that we have right now in a triangle configuration and then Hossin in the middle; each of our current continents will have one home warp gate, that’s basically the home warp gate for that empire. So they now have a home continent.

The other two warp gates on the opposite sides of the continents would each connect to Hossin and each one of them would connect to a different Battle Island. You would use the Battle Island to go from Esamir to Amerish, or you could go through Hossin—because Hossin will have three warp gates; one will go to Esamir and one will go to Amerish.

You conquest across and capture a warp gate. Once you’ve conquered across either a Battle Island or Hossin you will then be able to send forces to another empire’s home continent.

All of this allows us to facilitate cross-continental gameplay that we’ve wanted for a long time, but it takes a lot more maps to fill in the area in-between home continents.

From http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=32672

Resources, talking about competitive matches a bit here as well:
Higby wrote:
The limitations are always based on our meta-game mechanics. Right now, those limitations are based on the resources you can earn to field vehicles; we’re not going to have any hard caps on your ability to get vehicles.

We are doing resource revamps right now to focus players into making decisions between different types of gameplay. If you want to spend all your resources on tanks it means you’re not spending them on things like infantry or air vehicles. We’re working on making that change to our resource system as part of a long-term goal of enhancing our meta-game.

That’s what we always want the limiting factor to be when considering vehicles or explosives and things like that is meta-game mechanics.

For the competition mode we don’t necessarily want to start everybody with full resources and they just pull tanks and do stuff, we’re talking about having an accelerated version of that meta-game mechanic. During the course of a 30 to 45 minute long battle, you would be earning resources at a rate for a different number of vehicles to spawn in the MMO game.

In Battle Islands in the MMO game, vehicles will follow the same rules as the rest of the game.

From http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=32672&storypage=2

Malorn wrote:
Wow that's a ton of stuff! And I thought I wrote a lot!

Some of the core ideas are similar to my general thinking, such as a single resource currency, no-babysitting, engaging/conflict-promoting resource gathering, localized resource impact, and a steer away from territory ownership determining resource income.

From http://www.planetside-universe.com/show ... post935482

Find me on Discord: ObsidianOne#2697

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:00 am
DARKie

Post Re: meta-game ideas from devs
All sounds VERY promising to me.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:43 am
DARKie

Am I missing something here? What he's describing cannot work. There would be issues with 2 factions having access to the same warpgate in either scenario I can picture that matches what he described there. I made very advanced diagrams* of both scenarios. Anyone picking up what he's laying down? 'Cause I'm not.

edit: * For anyone interested in making complex diagrams of their own, I used an advanced visual design tool called 'MS Paint'

Attachments:
CONFIG2.png [16.47 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
CONFIG1.png [21.57 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Last edited by PhunkSauce on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
DARKie

When I read "capture a warpgate" I get a little confused as well. It'll be in interesting to see what they can do with only 3 WGs instead of 4 like on each PS1 map.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:26 pm
DARKie

Phunk, I think maybe the neutral warpgates will work like they were in the first game; meaning they won't have the spawns/terminals and just be used to warp from cont to cont, which would solve the multiple empires in the same WG deal.

This sounds very interesting to me; though I see some possible problems having two fonts linked to the same WG, would be very frustrating to have an entire assault on Hossin cut off because someone cut your link through a (presumably small) BI..

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:49 am
DARKie

MightyMouser wrote:
Phunk, I think maybe the neutral warpgates will work like they were in the first game; meaning they won't have the spawns/terminals and just be used to warp from cont to cont, which would solve the multiple empires in the same WG deal.

This sounds very interesting to me; though I see some possible problems having two fonts linked to the same WG, would be very frustrating to have an entire assault on Hossin cut off because someone cut your link through a (presumably small) BI..

By two factions having access to it, this is what I meant. Two factions having access to it simultaneously. Using the config1 diagram, say the VS push in to the NC home through BI2 at the same time the TR push into the NC home through BI3. Both the TR and the VS could warp from the gates they arrive at in the NC home to the same Hossin warpgate simultaneously. That seems disastrously messy. Wouldn't work.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:47 am
Profile WWW
DARKie

As what I believe them to be: Whiteboard discussion, these ideas just can't get here fast enough. (thus Phunk's obvious logistical errors in these ideas)

Going to Lattice over Hex severely limited Strategic maneuvering in favor of only small unit Tactical maneuvers. This game NEEDS strategy to be interesting to anyone beyond zerglings, IMHO. LOTS of players are only interested in logging in and shooting people, don't care for/about anything else. That is fine with me, as long as they give the thinking man something to do, too.

I just fear how much longer we have to deal with Planetside 2: Live Beta GU1x for...this better not wait for some showmanship "ExPac" for the one year anniversary or I'ma be PISSED!

Do love logging in still, even look forward to it...it just HAS to have something more than shooting to keep me playing in the long-run. And I don't put in half the hours some of you do! :shock:

MY PLAYERS PROFILE (cuz these fancy Sigs ain't real accurate)

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:18 am
DARKie

PhunkSauce wrote:
MightyMouser wrote:

By two factions having access to it, this is what I meant. Two factions having access to it simultaneously. Using the config1 diagram, say the VS push in to the NC home through BI2 at the same time the TR push into the NC home through BI3. Both the TR and the VS could warp from the gates they arrive at in the NC home to the same Hossin warpgate simultaneously. That seems disastrously messy. Wouldn't work.

I would imagine the warpgate would be a neutral safe zone. In PS1, you'd have multiple factions within the same warpgate playing shield peekaboo. They didn't have the safe zone auto-kill area.. just a weapon lock area. It wasn't horrible and you'd either get warpgate camping, or a huge push out of the warpgate depending on numbers.

Maybe the Hossin link would only go to the warpgate that links with the BI and It would cause the other link to be dead? Thereby limiting the number of factions fighting over the warpgate to only the 2.

IE, TR would only ever be able to enter NC's home cont from 1 particular warpgate, VS would only be able to enter via the other particular warpgate. (However, they can activate that warpgate link via either the battle island or hossin, but it's the same warpgate)

For example:

Attachment:
Lattice_Possible.png [21.83 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

I'm not sure really. Definitely something that would need to be played with on the PTS.

Active (PS2)
Calisai (Tech Test/Alpha/Beta/Release) - Mattherson (Youtube Channel)

Retired (PS1)
Calisai (Emmy VS)
Calisi (Markov TR)
Calisi (Konried TR)

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
DARKie

Acuta73 wrote:
I just fear how much longer we have to deal with Planetside 2: Live Beta GU1x for...this better not wait for some showmanship "ExPac" for the one year anniversary or I'ma be PISSED!

Having lived through the "development" cycle of PS1 (ie, ... built a game that was already old looking 4 months after release, with 1 horrible expansion and a few tweaks here and there.. then nothing for 7 more years...)

As long as they are moving forwards with PS2, I'll be happy. As painful as individual changes (ie, resource change) can be, it's still refreshing to know they are actively working towards a goal. (whether they succeed or not)

I will say, that the way they are trying to incorporate the battle islands into the main game is a good idea. It's in essence giving us 4 new continents for the price of 2, allowing them to open up continent locking with less amount of dev time needed. I also think we don't need huge full continent maps in order to get to PS1's level of strategy. Half the time most of the conts were empty anyway, having smaller gateway conts will probably be sufficient.

Letting them try to drum up interest via MLG is secondary for my personal taste, but I understand the need for marketing. It sucked in PS1 and having no advertising or attempts to bring new players to a great game.

It also allows for some 2v2 faction fights which were rare on PS1 (especially later years) but very fun fights. It'll definitely give ya some options.

Any way I look at it, if they can get this up and going by end of year 1 (still 4 months away), i'll be happy. I look at it like this. I never thought they were going to attempt to do a sequel of PS1. So living through a year of beta-like experience, with maybe another 4 months to go... I'm still a happy camper.

I have gotten my money's worth so far... and the longer it goes on, the less money i'll be spending. (There will be a point at which I will stop membership & boosts because I won't need it anymore)

Active (PS2)
Calisai (Tech Test/Alpha/Beta/Release) - Mattherson (Youtube Channel)

Retired (PS1)
Calisai (Emmy VS)
Calisi (Markov TR)
Calisi (Konried TR)

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
DARKie

Post Re: meta-game ideas from devs (cont conquest/locking)
Some more details:

• All other warpgates can now change hands like regular territory (details here still being worked out, so let us know if you have ideas)

• Each of our current continents (Indar, Esamir, Amerish) becomes a home continent for an Empire
• Each empire has a single “Home Warpgate” on their home continent that can never be taken from them
• By taking control of a warpgate, your empire can now advance along any continental lattice connected to it
• Hossin is given three warpgates, one connected to Indar, one to Esamir, and one to Amerish. There is no home warpgate on Hossin.
• Battle Islands fall between continents on all the links not leading to Hossin

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]