[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
DARK HQ - View topic - PS2 TE brohaha
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
PS2 TE brohaha 
DARKie

Post PS2 TE brohaha

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:36 am
DARKie

Post Re: PS2 TE brohaha
With MMOs of any type nowadays, I'd say especially a shooter, it's F2P or die.

The only way I see the resource system working as a decent meta-game mechanic is if all resource boosts, paid or acquired with certs, were removed completely. Heck, boosting resource gain could be tied into a meta-game mechanic like a module you have to install somewhere or something. Right now though, toss or disable the entire system until something is figured out.

I think most ps1 vets would agree on getting more continents in for home conts and locking, over other meta-game first, but a lot of people were screaming and yelling for lattice. It was apparently easier for them to implement lattice, and it did help make the Indar situation a little better (in most peoples eyes), so they did it first, and are going to finish that completely before we get any new continent.

I was thinking and also got Erendil's view on why they probably went with lattice on existing conts before Hossin. If the tech is already in-game and only has to be shuffled around and UI added, it's quicker and easier than preparing/re-vamping a whole cont which may not even be close to ready, and is totally designed for the old hex system. Ghosting and zergs avoiding each other was happening quite a bit which goes against their whole push for massive battles and "size always matters", so a quick fix for that would be great for incoming players trying out this new, advertised "massive", f2p game. Erendil said, "Higby has a hard on for massive battles." What if we were waiting for both lattice AND Hossin right now?

The devs are learning and listening, and a lot of the GUs have brought it closer to PS1 in one small way or another. PS1 was lacking a lot 6-7 months into it's life. I think we have a solid base with PS2, it was just a rough start for all the ps1 vets and other shooters/MMOers used to all the games releasing a $60 game w/sub, instead of going F2P from the start. We've got PS2 going to PlayStation 4, so I think the game will do a fine job surviving it's slow transition into an acceptable meta-game for most players.

We may not be getting Hossin right away, but there are some game changing map designs and mechanics coming with the Esamir revamp and beyond.

Look! = https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/ind ... ut.129175/

Esamir and Amerish are going to be new from what we saw on that FNO video, still planned for Summer on the roadmap, with Indar probably getting a pass to add those mechanics in.

Hopefully then with lattice in we'll see Hossin, cont locking, and some home conts soon to start this global meta game going again, with resource meta-game being revamped along the way.

Find me on Discord: ObsidianOne#2697

Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:43 am
DARKie

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:59 am
Profile WWW
DARKie

Active (PS2)
Calisai (Tech Test/Alpha/Beta/Release) - Mattherson (Youtube Channel)

Retired (PS1)
Calisai (Emmy VS)
Calisi (Markov TR)
Calisi (Konried TR)

Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
DARKie

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:52 pm
DARKie

This has been an interesting read. Really rather enjoy seeing everyone's well thought-out ideas and opinions.

I honestly have very few beefs with this game as long as I just enjoy it for what it currently is: A mostly mindless TDM shooter. This Outfit makes it better and infinitely more enjoyable simply because we often stay organised, pick objectives, assault/defend those objectives, and create some great team play. We are also pretty good at drifting off and succumbing to the mindless TDM occasionally, particularly as the clock ticks into the wee hours of the morning.

It IS sad that this was brought on by someone like BCP that, IMHO, barely qualifies as a human being. But, honestly, if he can force a larger discussion, then he's not so useless after all.

My .02 is going to start with ForgeLight. Why? Because no few of the "not so great" design decisions of the devs in this game have been driven by the limitations of a brand new engine. And I see, as the engine starts to get better, so does some of the content. Creating a new engine and tossing it into a AAA title is truly a balsy maneuver. It took 2-3 years for the great CryEngine to be stable and perform even decently on higher end systems. Only the true hardware nerds and early adopters saw what that engine could DO for a long while. With the scale of PS2, a lot of good ideas that require additional assets (more defendable bases, for one) are going to take a while. Better continents with cooler assets (lava, thick trees, etc) are going to have to wait for the engine to come up to snuff. Nevermind the netcoding and libraries needed to keep 3000 people with their shiny armor and trinkets rendering at a decent framerate while keeping the game playable. This stuff isn't truly relevant to the topic, but is worth considering in light of it.

F2P:

I agree the F2P model is now a matter of sink or swim in MMOG these days. It has more to do with the schizophrenic nature of the younger kids these days, I think. They jump on a bandwagon, and are gone in a couple months as soon as a shiny new game hits the market. Hell, I'm guilty of this occasionally and a kid I am not. I am driven to try out every game I can that seems even a tiny bit interesting to me. All this said, SOE is not doing a great job of F2P, but also not doing a terrible job. I DO think they will hit a balance...will have to if they want to retain players and not just rake in the amazing profits they are currently seeing. The buff/nerf cycle they use on cash purchases doesn't work well and leads to resentment. They either need to spend more time testing new weapons, find a different way to introduce new weapons (outside of cash-driven...yeah, certs...who does that?), or possibly just bite the bullet and intentionally release new weapons slightly underpowered. Buffing that shiny new toy will make friends, nerfing it pisses people off, completely changing it causes /ragequit.

Resources:

Short and sweet, a work in progress that should be getting about 10x more Dev attention than it currently seems to be. Not a fan of where it is now, but willing to accept it knowing it WILL continue to evolve.

Lattice:

As probably the lone Lattice hater here... Perhaps it really was GREAT in PS1, but this isn't and that is in inescapable fact. I signed up for a sandbox, I got stockyard shutes. The performance hit of a bazillion zerglings in a perpetual meatgrinder alone is enough to chase me away. Nevermind the dumbed-down gameplay of just sitting around shooting each other, rampant TK for various reasons, and then moving one base along the shute, and doing it again. ad nauseum. But still? I hold out hope this will evolve, there have been a couple of GREAT threads on the main forum about combining the sandbox localized strategy of Hex, the predictability of Lattice, and tieing it all to the resource system. I will find it again later and post a link here.

Global Command:

While SOE really needs to get on it and provide some better tools for a game like this, there is another shorter-term option. Player-driven. Back in Warhammer Online a number of people got very large VOIP servers and invited Guild and Alliance leaders in. Not a perfect answer by any means, but it is a means to an end. Not something I would use personally as I just don't have the playtime, but Hell, even I'd pitch in $50 a year or w/e to do this. Doing it in WAR made the community tighter, and we even invited in people from the opposing faction late at night to just BS, drink ourselves blind, duel, compare specs, w/e. Another up-side to this is that because we had such a large portion of a given faction (or both factions) on a server all in one place, we often got the Devs in there to play with us, listen to ideas (almost all of which were ignored, but that is neither here nor there), and just basically shoot the shit. This added in one important aspect of Developer/Player relations: we got to know each other a little.

Probably not the most coherent post, but you guys threw so much good stuff to think on out there it was hard to cover it all without a 10 page report!

MY PLAYERS PROFILE (cuz these fancy Sigs ain't real accurate)

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]