View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Valentine79 
Forum Whore

DarkFate wrote:
I think Orson Scott Card peaked with Ender's Game and I'm really hoping the movie adaptation he's co-writing won't suck. Otherwise, except for the obvious classics, pretty much the only author I've read recently is Alastair Reynolds. It's heavy on the science, but I find it really interesting. I sort of liked Aftermath by Charles Sheffield, but his style of writing is kind of boring and simplistic, which is a problem a lot of SciFi authors share (Ben Bova, Gregory Benford, Jack McDevitt, etc.). I miss authors like Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Larry Niven, etc.

- Edit - To go back to OSC for a minute - I thought the Homecoming Series was ok, but I felt like it never went anywhere in the end. Oh, and my secret shame is that I enjoyed the book Battlefield Earth, although it was extremely cheesy.

IMO, the first 4 Ender books are fantastic (2nd almost as good as first). The Bean books were pretty good, and the rest were shit. The last one was just terrible. I've read pretty much everything he has written, and I'd recommend Enchanment as well as Pastwatch if you haven't read them already. Even his Women of Genesis series are interesting reads.
I read Pastwatch and thought it was blah. I hate fantasy so I won't be reading the Enchantment series, but I did forget that he wrote The Worthing Saga, which isn't bad.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:46 am
Profile WWW
DARKie

I read Starship troopers like 5 years ago only cause everyone was mentioning it in Planetside back in the old Markov days, but usually if its not Star Trek or Star Wars I dont usually read them.

ALTS
DrunkElmo-TR Waterson
BlackVenomX- NC Connery

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:04 am
Alliance Member

Valentine79 wrote:
DarkFate wrote:
I think Orson Scott Card peaked with Ender's Game and I'm really hoping the movie adaptation he's co-writing won't suck. Otherwise, except for the obvious classics, pretty much the only author I've read recently is Alastair Reynolds. It's heavy on the science, but I find it really interesting. I sort of liked Aftermath by Charles Sheffield, but his style of writing is kind of boring and simplistic, which is a problem a lot of SciFi authors share (Ben Bova, Gregory Benford, Jack McDevitt, etc.). I miss authors like Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Larry Niven, etc.

- Edit - To go back to OSC for a minute - I thought the Homecoming Series was ok, but I felt like it never went anywhere in the end. Oh, and my secret shame is that I enjoyed the book Battlefield Earth, although it was extremely cheesy.

IMO, the first 4 Ender books are fantastic (2nd almost as good as first). The Bean books were pretty good, and the rest were shit. The last one was just terrible. I've read pretty much everything he has written, and I'd recommend Enchanment as well as Pastwatch if you haven't read them already. Even his Women of Genesis series are interesting reads.
I read Pastwatch and thought it was blah. I hate fantasy so I won't be reading the Enchantment series, but I did forget that he wrote The Worthing Saga, which isn't bad.

BTW, I agree with you that nobody writes like the oldies...I love Asimov and Bradbury. I just finished The Book of the New Sun by Wolfe. It was pretty good, but I had to start the book 10 different times over the course of a few years before I could really get into it. Did you like the Hyperion novels?

My secret shame is that I love the Abarat series by Clive Barker. I'd kill for some of the artwork.

Edit: And why hate fantasy? The George R.R. Martin books are probably the best books I've ever read.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:05 am
DARKie

AIM : Serialkitten2
Xfire : Uri
Steam : vdawwg
Live : taintedpride

Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:09 am
DARKie

Foundation starts strong and then the quality goes all over the place.

Ursula K LeGuin I think is one of my favorite authors. She's not terribly prolific but "Left Hand of Darkness" in the Sci-fi genre and the "Earthsea" trilogy (quadrilogy? Quintuplegy?) in the Fantasy genre are both fantastic.

-war

Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:41 pm
DARKie

I just read the bible. It's the only book for me.

I hear its the best selling work of fiction ever :wink:

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:32 pm
Forum Whore

DarkFate wrote:
Valentine79 wrote:
DarkFate wrote:

BTW, I agree with you that nobody writes like the oldies...I love Asimov and Bradbury. I just finished The Book of the New Sun by Wolfe. It was pretty good, but I had to start the book 10 different times over the course of a few years before I could really get into it. Did you like the Hyperion novels?

My secret shame is that I love the Abarat series by Clive Barker. I'd kill for some of the artwork.

Edit: And why hate fantasy? The George R.R. Martin books are probably the best books I've ever read.
I have an issue with suspension of disbelief when it comes to fantasy. I also think elves, dwarves, witches, warlocks, etc is really really REALLY gay. And not the good homosexual gay, but faggot gay.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:02 am
Profile WWW
DARKie

I haven't picked up a SciFi book in years... I think the most recent one I read was Ben Bova's Venus.

Sure the guy writes a novel not really huge plotwise, but I enjoyed it. I was like 15 in High School & a friend bought it for me.

I might check one out sometime soon, I used to be into Sci-Fi. The Star Trek remake for example was pretty good even though it was pretty damn short. Avatar looks awesome, and James Cameron = kick-ass director.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:58 am
Forum Whore

I haven't picked up a SciFi book in years... I think the most recent one I read was Ben Bova's Venus.

Sure the guy writes a novel not really huge plotwise, but I enjoyed it. I was like 15 in High School & a friend bought it for me.

I might check one out sometime soon, I used to be into Sci-Fi. The Star Trek remake for example was pretty good even though it was pretty damn short. Avatar looks awesome, and James Cameron = kick-ass director.
Um, Star Trek was nearly three hours. Avatar also looks like shit.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:10 am
Profile WWW
DARKie

Um, Star Trek was nearly three hours. Avatar also looks like shit.

Was it? I swear it was like 126 minutes or something, I could be insane though.

Avatar DOES look pretty cheesy, but I'm easily impressed by Special-FX. Might just torrent the thing instead of going to the theater.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:29 am
DARKie

Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:44 am
DARKie

AIM : Serialkitten2
Xfire : Uri
Steam : vdawwg
Live : taintedpride

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:02 pm
Alliance Member

Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:00 pm
DARKie