View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 9:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Hello all 
DARKie

nvm, just found out that the little plastic pins can fit together and break apart, now i got everything set up BUT, the first time i forgot to pwr the Hard drive, but it powered up fine, i just couldn't use the keyboard or mouse second time after i reattached the cables so that the hdd had pwr, the little green stand by light won't come on and i can't pwr up.... can anybody help me, i know something in the chain is wrong, but i'm not sure what.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:30 am
DARKie

Well I found what was wrong and got everything powered up fine, but now windows does not want to start up... I've already configured my bios and all that, just need windows to start up and i'd be good

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:01 pm
DARKie

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:12 pm
DARKie

Intestingly this reminds me of my own computer problems, I usualy get Murphy's law on steroids. When one thing goes wrong 5 others decide to fail too, My computer has been changed and altered so many times we nicknamed it Frankenstein. My advice is to hold together and bear with it, No matter how much you want to throw it off a building.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:47 am
Alliance Member

If you want assistance, please ask, Rashiky. I noticed you post your problems and progress, but nothing with what people have suggested. It would be a shame for you to spend so much money only to be disappointed that things are still the same.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:19 pm
DARKie

I'd love some help, I'm taking it into this guy I know from work, who is a friggin genius when it comes to making computers work, but yes I would love help. And I have been using your suggestions, but it seems by the time i get that figured out something else pops up. But I'm so close now, my friend and I have it narrowed down to my hard drive, we've talked over the phone alot. But if you know any shortcuts, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:55 pm
Alliance Member

Hopefully your friend is aware that Maxtor Diamond MAX 9 & 10 series doesn't work too well with nVidia Chipsets. The nForce 4 chipset has access issues with the BIOS of Maxtor SATA drives series 9 and 10. You will see a drop in reads by up to 80% after 10 minutes.

Big differences between SATA 1 and SATA 2 drives and controllers. ALL Native SATA 2 drives have a speed jumper to select either SATA 1 or SATA 2 speeds. This is a must for people trying to hook a SATA 2 drive up to a SATA 1 controller. Otherwise the system can't use the drive properly.

Most modern SATA 2 mobo (motherboard) controllers require the BIOS to be set for SATA 1 (1.5 Gb) in order for a SATA 1 drive to function. Reason being, first gen SATA 1 drives were actually IDE with only a replaced SATA logic board and the auto-detection didn't quite detect the drive's perimeters correctly.

Mobo's with a secondary IDE and SATA RAID can only work with both IDE and SATA if the HD is locked in SATA 1 mode. A SATA 2 drive set at SATA 2, will error the controller.

For help, let me/us know what your parts are.

Consider calling up a mechanic on the phone and tell them you can't get your vehicle out of the garage. With little info it could be the garage door won't open, the vehicle won't start, you can't find the keys, or in the vehicle isn't there. A vague question can result in uneccessary resolutions that don't even touch the problem.

I don't consider myself a genius. I've only worked and designed around 25,000 different configurations. I believe their are 1.8 million to date. But, some of my knowledge can be useful at times. As well as there are others here too that can be quite helpful.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:31 am
DARKie

I on the other hand am certainly a genius, and to date my 5 different configurations rank me in the 1% of all computer illiterate people.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:25 am
DARKie

AMD Athlon FX-57 (2.8ghz)
ASUS A8N SLI Delux
EVGA Nvidia 7900 GT KO(superclocked)
XMS Corsair Ram two 512 sticks
Seagate 120 gb 7200rpm hd
Lite-on dvd rom
Audigy Soundblaster 2
Aspire 680w power supply

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:07 pm
Alliance Member

Several factors here will cause you issues over time. The first and foremost is the memory. The website and manual will varify this for you. Corsair is pretty much over-rated. OCZ (Hynix, Micron, and Samsung) will offer far superior support. Anyhow, Corsair 512 MB sticks don't work in dual-channel mode (Slot 1 and 3) on this mobo too well. It is only tested to have worked in single channel mode. One big reason why I never recommend it builders. The older revision 1.1 to 1.2 Corsair was built really well. But Corsair has moved to a cheaper manufacturer and chipsets pay for it.

Early version of the A8N SLI Deluxe came with bios version 1007 and lacked the microcode for the E6 series of the Athlon64 line, this including the FX-57. The board will require a min. of 1011. 1016 is the latest.

What is the HardDrive? Seagate makes 7 different 120 GB HardDrive models. Is it IDE or SATA? If IDE, how long is the IDE cable. 24" and longer cables will give you issues. If SATA, bends sharper than 120 degrees will reduce signal flow. Also, make sure the auxillary power head from the vidcard isn't powered off the HD molex line. This will introduce a cross signal from the HD's motor onto the Mobo.

Use all 3 power heads on the mobo. Do not use the 4 pin Molex (inline 4) from the same feed as the P4 and P6 headers from the Power Supply. The inline 4 pin molex on that line is for case fans only as they use only 12 volts.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:51 am
DARKie

Sorry wild, but I didn't understand half of what you said... I don't know how all that would effect windows not wanting to start. I've already configured my bios and everything checks out, i think my hard drive is IDE... I'm not sure though, thats what my friend told me over the phone. It has a jumper on two of the pins, we've already tried taking it off and putting it back on, it is jumpered right. My hardrive is the barracuda if that helps any lol.

When I turn the power on, the asus proactive screen pops up, gives me the option of pressing del to enter setup, which I've already done, If I leave it alone for 5 secs or so, it goes to another screen telling me to hit f4 for raid config, I don't have raid, so I don't press anything and then it goes to another screen showing me all my ide sata master and slaves etc... after that the screen pops up telling me that windows was unable to start successfully, and gives me 5 options, none of which work... safe mode, safe mode w/ network, safe mode w/ command prompt, start windows in last know good config, or start windows normally. After I click on one of the options it acts like its going to load... and then poof, restart. Then it starts all over, its a never ending loop.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:58 pm
Alliance Member

Ok. Another question, was Windows that is on this hardDrive Installed there with the current HardWare you are using? ie Was the Mobo that is there now the one one used for the original installation of Windows that is on your HardDrive?

If not, you will have to re-install Windows unless you are using a corp version. Reason being, the corp version doesn't care to how many hardware changes you've done. You are aware that when there are more than 3 hardware changes, Windows XP Home and Pro will de-activate.

Before re-installing, try putting your Windows XP CD in the drive and select Boot From CD-ROM. When asked to Press Any Key to Boot from CD-ROM, Press Any Key. Windows will offer 3 options. You will (or your Friend) need to continue booting and go to the next screen. This screen you will select R to Repair. DO NOT Select the R on the First Screen. That will take you to a command line prompt for manual repair. The second repair option will erase all core files on the HD and Install Fresh ones according to your new configuration.

Your friend should know this.

Also, the Bios (CMOS) has not been set up as the it appears the RAID controller for SATA is turned on and needs to be turned off if no SATA drives are connected. Otherwise, the Primary on-board RAID controller will disable the Primary IDE controller (The one with your HD on it).

The information I posted earlier was hopefully not a waste of time. I was hoping you could ask your friend to check out.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:10 pm
DARKie

Alright wild, I'll have him have a look at your posts tomorrow, I wasn't able to go today.

When I inserted the windows cd nothing happened, I still got the old windows did not start successfully message, and there was no option to boot from the cd

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:29 pm
Alliance Member

The Phoenix-Award BIOS will offer a BOOT order. It's right at the top Window along with MAIN, ADVANCED, POWER, etc. Here you can select the BOOT Sequence.
You can also Tab the F8 key as the CMOS is going through POST to manually get a BOOT Screen Window to select from. The selection here doesn't not change any BOOT Sequence set in the BIOS itself, only for that boot.

If your HardDrive is not in the Boot Device Priority List in the BOOT Window, however it shows up in the MAIN Window, then the BIOS hasn't been set up correctly.
You or your friend will have to set that up. In the BOOT Window are 6 Sub Options, select Hard Disk Drives and your HD should be Disk 1.

Is your CD/DVD drive present in the Device List?
Is your Windows CD an actual Install Disk or Upgrade only?
Is the Seagate 120 the only drive on the Cable?
Is the Drive set to Master and using the last connector on the cable? You want to do that if not.
After the system was built, a Memtest and HD Test was done?
If so, were they done with a CD to insure the CD Drive works?
As to Windows, if it was on the HD before the rebuild took place, that will open up another area of issues.

However, Good Luck.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:02 am
DARKie

Well we got my machine to work :) so I'm happy, I just got done updating all my drivers and stuff and I'm ready to go. When I try and launch planetside.exe though it says my processor is set to allow processor speed changing in its power scheme, please go to your power supply panel and set it to "always on" while running planetside... wtf?

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next