View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 5:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Valentine79 
Alliance Member

Post Valentine79
1. In game name (login name should be the same): Valentine79

2. List your alts that you play, or have played regularly from all empires (VS, TR and NC):

VS - Valentine79 - BR29/CR3
NC - SYNxValWiggin - BR35/CR5
TR - ValentineW - BR26/CR3

3. RL First Name (optional): Casey

4. RL Age (optional): 30

5. Timezone you play in/Frequency of play: Play daily evenings (central time)

6. What or Who brought you to DARK? You watched us on the battlefield? You spoke to a member? Let us know here: I've observed that DARK does a lot of ops, which is what I enjoy. I do not enjoy zerging.

7. Anything you'd like to tell us? Additional comments or questions here: I've only been playing PS 5 or 6 months, so I still have things to learn. However, I'm a quick learner and very adaptable and think DARK would be a good fit for my playstyle. Oh and I have two cats, Fatty and Suzy :D

Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:15 am
DARKie

Welcome to the DARK boards Val! We enjoyed having you in squad with us tonight. Jump in squad when you play and good luck with the app.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:35 am
Profile WWW
DARKie

welcome Valentine aka Casey ... looks like u can mossi whore too really nice..
OBD cant he is nubish in the air ^^ ...have fun

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:37 am
DARKie

Your name is in reference to Orson Scott Card's series yes?
In which case I APPROVE VERY MUCH because you clearly have good taste in scifi :)
And.. she kicks peter's ass

AIM : Serialkitten2
Xfire : Uri
Steam : vdawwg
Live : taintedpride

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:46 am
Alliance Member

Hi!
Your name is in reference to Orson Scott Card's series yes?
In which case I APPROVE VERY MUCH because you clearly have good taste in scifi :)
And.. she kicks peter's ass

Yeah, I'm a sci-fi/fantasy dork :P I'm rereading Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series now :D

Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:36 am
DARKie

I just finished some Heinlen - Starship troopers was an amazing read (nothing at all like the movie)
havent been reading cuz of school, but I get a break soon I might go check that out of hte library :)

Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:12 pm
DARKie

Heinlein is great, OSCard is great. At least, their early work.

Once they get going both of em get progressively crazier.

Check out "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" Uri, probably the best Heinlein book out there.

Avoid late Heinlein like "Cat who walks through walls" unless you like reading about incestuous, immortal horndogs.

-war

Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:37 pm
DARKie

Welcome to the boards Valentine. Feel free to join our squads in game.

Sorry for the thread derailment.

Enders Game was the greatest piece of science fiction for me personally. When Orson Scott Card went on his political / religious rampage, I stopped reading his work.

I just finished reading "Semper Mars: Book One of the Heritage Trilogy" which was a very good follow up to Starship Troopers with some decent research into the problems with space combat. The ending (last 10 pages) was a horrificly terrible piece of writing, but it was a very interesting read.

I read all of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire Series. I LOVED the first book. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th books were very good reads. However, Martin is a better horror writer than fantasy / sci-fi. I liked the fact that he isn't afraid to kill off his heroes / main characters, but you get to a point where he kills everyone. I need someone to root for at least. It gets depressing when he destroys entire families / clans. Martin's other horror works are quite good from Dreamsongs and I begin to think he is as disturbed as Stephen King. Too much drug use is a bad thing unless you are the Beatles.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:32 pm
DARKie

I just read the bible. It's the only book for me.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Alliance Member

I just read the bible. It's the only book for me.

Amen.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:51 pm
DARKie

that's only because OBD has a 1st grade reading level and he has a picture bible :p

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:12 pm
DARKie

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:17 pm
Alliance Member

Awww I remember my first kid bible!

Me too, it was one of those Precious Moments ones. My first job out of college was in MO, and there was this giant Precious Moments place there my mom forced me to visit with her lol.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:11 pm
Forum Whore

I think Orson Scott Card peaked with Ender's Game and I'm really hoping the movie adaptation he's co-writing won't suck. Otherwise, except for the obvious classics, pretty much the only author I've read recently is Alastair Reynolds. It's heavy on the science, but I find it really interesting. I sort of liked Aftermath by Charles Sheffield, but his style of writing is kind of boring and simplistic, which is a problem a lot of SciFi authors share (Ben Bova, Gregory Benford, Jack McDevitt, etc.). I miss authors like Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Larry Niven, etc.

- Edit - To go back to OSC for a minute - I thought the Homecoming Series was ok, but I felt like it never went anywhere in the end. Oh, and my secret shame is that I enjoyed the book Battlefield Earth, although it was extremely cheesy.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:12 am
Profile WWW
Alliance Member

I think Orson Scott Card peaked with Ender's Game and I'm really hoping the movie adaptation he's co-writing won't suck. Otherwise, except for the obvious classics, pretty much the only author I've read recently is Alastair Reynolds. It's heavy on the science, but I find it really interesting. I sort of liked Aftermath by Charles Sheffield, but his style of writing is kind of boring and simplistic, which is a problem a lot of SciFi authors share (Ben Bova, Gregory Benford, Jack McDevitt, etc.). I miss authors like Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Larry Niven, etc.

- Edit - To go back to OSC for a minute - I thought the Homecoming Series was ok, but I felt like it never went anywhere in the end. Oh, and my secret shame is that I enjoyed the book Battlefield Earth, although it was extremely cheesy.

IMO, the first 4 Ender books are fantastic (2nd almost as good as first). The Bean books were pretty good, and the rest were shit. The last one was just terrible. I've read pretty much everything he has written, and I'd recommend Enchanment as well as Pastwatch if you haven't read them already. Even his Women of Genesis series are interesting reads.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next