View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Need help with a tech questions 
DARKie

Post Need help with a tech questions
Hiya, Im working on building a proper gaming system and I want to avoid making a bad decision when it comes to SLI. I know Planetside doesn't support it and its pretty much the only game I play on any consistent basis so would anyone advise against saving some cash on the MB and going with one GPU?

Would I be stupid to limit that option for the next 5+ years? I cant even think of affording a good GPU right now let alone two of them.. so maybe Im answering my own question.

I would like to put the extra cash into an i7 4790k, Im interested in motion graphics and video editing along with my music production so I think I can justify the step up from an i5, otherwise I would definitely go with the i5 and put that extra cash into a better GPU (which is on my buy later list). I know the i7 is marginally better than an i5 and its a tough decision to make. I just want as much as I can get out of my CPU and I want to get what I can out of it for as long as possible. So 100 bucks more is worth it... I think?

I cant wait to play with something better than my current 14 FPS.. I could actually contribute more than dropping ammo packs and giving our medics easy revive xp!

Do any of you i7 owners regret spending more on it? Do you feel that you have better performance in game because of it?

Anyway, any thoughts or opinions are greatly valued. Thanks a bunch

Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:54 pm
DARKie

Post Re: Need help with a tech questions
Xilen wrote:
Hiya, Im working on building a proper gaming system and I want to avoid making a bad decision when it comes to SLI. I know Planetside doesn't support it and its pretty much the only game I play on any consistent basis so would anyone advise against saving some cash on the MB and going with one GPU?

Well, If you are like me and only play 1 game, then SLI would mostly be a waste of money. I built a rig that was SLI-ready, and I never used it. Mainly cause all I did was play games that didn't need it.

Xilen wrote:
I would like to put the extra cash into an i7 4790k, Im interested in motion graphics and video editing along with my music production so I think I can justify the step up from an i5, otherwise I would definitely go with the i5 and put that extra cash into a better GPU (which is on my buy later list). I know the i7 is marginally better than an i5 and its a tough decision to make. I just want as much as I can get out of my CPU and I want to get what I can out of it for as long as possible. So 100 bucks more is worth it... I think?

So Planetside is very single core performance dependent. So check out this site for your specific processors and make sure its up to snuff. In general an i5 will be more powerful than an equivalently priced i7... but there are usually i7's out there with just as good single core performance. If you plan on recording and doing video editing and other CPU intensive tasks that would benefit from an i7... that is the time when I would recommend looking into them. If its just for Planetside, then a good i5 is probably good enough.

Personally, I still run with my i5-3570k that's been OC'd to 4.3 Ghz. However, I've also offloaded my recording onto a second box, so all my gaming rig is doing is playing PS2...

Btw, I would also google search the processor that you are looking at and see if anyone else is using it for PS2. That's how I targeted my 3570k and the reports were great, and i've never had any problems with it. Don't take chances, find someone else with a similar build that you are looking at and find out how they are experiencing PS2 (preferably with video proof of quality). It'll save you headaches and money in the long run.

Active (PS2)
Calisai (Tech Test/Alpha/Beta/Release) - Mattherson (Youtube Channel)

Retired (PS1)
Calisai (Emmy VS)
Calisi (Markov TR)
Calisi (Konried TR)

Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:38 am
Profile WWW
DARKie

Post Re: Need help with a tech questions
Thanks a bunch.

The trend Im seeing with a lot of streaming or recording players is 4+ ghz clock speeds and that is usually an i7 4790k processors. Thats coming from twitch and youtubers like Wrel. That one is also top of the list on cpubenchmark.net

Im sure I could probably get away with a cheaper cpu and OC the difference but I think I have my easy answer, dont worry about SLI and buy a 4790k.

Funny and sad but I found my current processor selling for $14.99... FML http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117588

My phone could probably run the game better.

Thanks again Cal

Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]