View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Reddit Anti-Zerg Idea 
DARKie

Post Reddit Anti-Zerg Idea
This thread on reddit... I feel like it's similar to what I've been told the PS1 system was like. It'd be really great to see something like this in action. People care too damn much about their certz to allow for interesting fluid battles between bases. So change the way cap certz are acquired!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1z397s/forcing_players_to_stay_near_bases_for_capture/

Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
DARKie

Post Re: Reddit Anti-Zerg Idea
PS1 had time-slices. Meaning... for every slice of time you were in the zone... depending on the amount of unique players (Enemy and Friendly) were in the base, you'd get a credit towards your XP pool for that base capture. It had a Cap... I remember it took like a good 15 minute medium-sized fight to fill up to the cap, so in the later years of PS1, when populations dropped... getting full caps were harder (except for interlink farms, etc.) It also meant, you could ghost a base... be there for the full cap time... and get 10 XP. Thus a good disincentive for ghosting... it also meant... that if you completely rolf-stomped a base... you would only get 200-500XP... so it incentivised longer drawn out battles.

It did mean, however, that you could move on... I quite often would leave to resecure a base or prep the next base quite often.

I would imagine that they didn't put that in due to the amount of data they'd have to keep tally of during a "base fight"... IE, it would look back over the last 15 minutes of a fight prior to the cap and calculate it based on that. I do think it's a superior system to the "being in the hex at this exact second gets you 2k XP" system.

Does anyone remember back to if this was the case at release of PS1? I can't remember back that far... I know that they messed around with the caps and various things through the years, but can't remember if it started out as straight cap=points system or was sliced to begin with.

Edit: Heh... Dark archivist strikes! http://www.darkhq.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1861

Active (PS2)
Calisai (Tech Test/Alpha/Beta/Release) - Mattherson (Youtube Channel)

Retired (PS1)
Calisai (Emmy VS)
Calisi (Markov TR)
Calisi (Konried TR)

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]